The Director is a key position supporting the firm’s large and dynamic China practice. This position will interact directly with clients and manage client engagements, leading in the development of research products, and client strategies. The Director will conduct Chinese- and English-language research in service of our client work and business development, including building English-language analysis and recommendations. This position requires a strong China background, proficiency in Chinese language, exceptional analytical writing skills, creativity, and an ability to work well within a team.
This position provides the opportunity to support clients on complex commercial and geopolitical issues related to China in a fast-paced, collegial environment. Responsibilities for the position are listed below:
- Supports the China practice by serving as a member of (and may lead, as assigned) several client teams with a focus on overall strategy, research, and day to day internal coordination and client outreach.
- Provides quality research, analysis, and writing for clients, including through Chinese language research. Acts as the driving force on client-related tasks, research and deliverables, including managing other members of client teams.
- Demonstrates ongoing deepening of relevant China expertise that enables the practice to enhance client service.
- Supports the China practice in preparing for (and possibly leading) business development meetings, including preparing relevant briefing memos on the potential client’s company, industry, and/or issues. This may also include support in drafting proposals.
- Continues to develop professional network to cultivate potential clients and build new business through thought leadership and interaction with associations, think tanks, and policy shops.
- Customer Service: Focuses on impeccable client service and value creation. Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues and clients, continuously focused on developing substantive expertise to meet client interests and needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Can effectively draft all or portions of written client product with clear direction. Supports partners and client leads to coordinate various work inputs and weave into a product that will exceed the client’s expectation as to ASG’s impact on the client and value delivered. Communicates well with other members of the ASG team. Effective communicator with the ASG network and/or local offices, with strong emphasis placed on the ability to speak and write in a local language.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards and an appropriate professional presentation.
- Teamwork: Interacts effectively with colleagues at all levels and across firm. Manages ASG team members to work together to produce agreed upon deliverables. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration, and culture of the firm. Takes a leadership role in institution building.
- Minimum of five to ten years of relevant professional experience, including time working on China issues and/or living in China. Experience in trade policy, finance, or commercial industries is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, public policy or business administration, or a related field, or equivalent experience, with a Master’s in related field a plus.
- Strong writing, editing, research, and analytical skills, as well as ability to think critically about research scope and content.
- Strong knowledge of China, geopolitical trends, and industry policy issues. Working experience in trade policy and commercial issues is a plus.
- Professional working proficiency in Chinese, including the ability to read Chinese language newspapers and government documents.
- Self-starting, with the ability to operate on both long-term and short-term projects without direct supervision, and a “can-do” attitude.
- This role may include annual travel to China and/or to client headquarters.
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG), part of Dentons Global Advisors (DGA), is the premier global strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. With a commitment to excellence, integrity, and discretion, we help our clients navigate challenges and capture opportunities in markets around the world. ASG goes beyond opening doors, collaborating with our clients to develop and implement tailored strategies. The global ASG network includes over 230 regional and sectoral experts and has a record of success in over 120 countries. In 2021, ASG became a founding member of Dentons Global Advisors (DGA), an elite multidisciplinary advisory firm that provides an even broader set of integrated strategic counsel and support for clients facing complex opportunities and challenges spanning commercial, reputational, financial, regulatory and governance dimensions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is committed to equal opportunity in recruitment and employment practices and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination. No job applicant or employee receives unfavorable treatment on the grounds of color, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or any other status protected by law.
Please upload a cover letter and writing sample along with a resume. Include all documents in one PDF attachment – cover letter, writing sample, and resume.